Monday, March 21, 2011

Como Se Dice "Chubby"

I was doing some grocery shopping in Trader Joes a few days ago with Gavin. While in the dairy section I stopped to inspect some eggs and noticed two older Hispanic ladies looking at Gavin and smiling. One mumbled to the other in Spanish and they both giggled. Then she pointed toward Gavin and said, "gordito". The other nodded and agreed, "Ah, gordito." Then they smiled and spoke a few more words (in Spanish) before giving him a wink and heading down the next aisle.

I could tell they were enamored by him, so I was amused. I just wasn't sure what it was about him that made them stop and take special notice. In my mind he's not the chubby baby he used to be. Maybe it was the bag of snacks in his lap I had given him to keep him happy. Or maybe it was his round cheeks, chomping on the bits of snacks. Or perhaps it was the cart buckle that I strapped tightly around his middle (causing his belly to hang out). Come to think of it, he did look a little bit like a toad sitting there in the cart.

No matter. I like gorditos.




*By the way, I was in Joes again this evening with both Owen and Gavin. Have you noticed evening shoppers are not nearly as pleasant as morning shoppers? Sure I would be a little put off by a couple of boys that are bouncing around the aisles. But sheesh, I was the one who had to do the shopping with them.

1 comment:

Kimba said...

TOTALLY. evening shoppers have no patience.

we love your gordita too and hope we can feel better and see you guys soon! this is beyond ridiculous, now. the universe! it's against us!